Parents and Cy Creek Cougar Band:
This TWIB contains more information than usual as we work to keep you informed during the start of the school year. Please review it carefully as there are many details for upcoming events. You may want to save this TWIB or print it out and post it on the fridge. Questions? Most of the articles will provide you with an email so that you can contact the coordinator directly.
However: For all BAND questions (equipment, sick child, music, etc.) please contact Mr. Drake directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. Any replies to this email address will be forwarded eventually, but the quickest way to communicate with Mr. Drake is by contacting him directly. Thanks!
This week is going to be loads of fun with tons of ways to participate and to get to know your fellow band members:
August 4-8 Summer Band 8-4, Percussion 8-5
Tuesday, August 5 6:50 to 9:00 Skating Night at the Aerodrome on 249. (Located between Grant Road and 1960 on the west side of the access road)
This event is FREE for all band members. Wear clothing that will keep you warm as you cool off after a hot day of marching practice! Your ticket in is the attached waiver. It must be signed by a parent and the student!
Students will skate for the first hour and then turn in skates and put on your sneakers for a rousing game of broomball. Be prepared to have a great time at this favorite band tradition. (The snack bar will be open if you need snacks or hot chocolate. Bring money if you'd like to take advantage of that service.)
Friday, August 8 4PM This is the only opportunity to purchase marching shoes (required except for guard), garment bag (required) and tote bag (optional but required for guard)
You must pay via check made out to Tote Unlimited or exact change cash.
Marching Shoes ($43.00)
Garment Bag ($21.65)
Tote Bag with initials embroidered ($41.25)
Friday, August 8 The Rock-a-thon is back by popular demand! Fill out the attached donation form and bring it with your donations to the Cy Creek Commons this Friday night and be prepared to Rock the night away! We will begin setting up at10 PM and all students need to arrive ready to entertain themselves from 11:00 PM to 6:00 AM Saturday morning! Talk to your friends and sections to coordinate gaming systems and be sure to bring something to rock on.
- Parents: this event was started to replace a traditional fundraiser where the kids sold coupon books to the community. Parents were required to do a buy out of the book if the kids failed to sell the minimum. We have had a WONDERFUL response by the community! They are happy to make a donation and know that 100% of the money goes directly to the band program! Please encourage your student to talk up the band in the area and seek out donations.
- This is not intended to be another opportunity for mom and dad to write a check. Although, your contributions are welcome.
- Students must have $50 in donations to participate. Students bringing in $150 in donations will earn a free band banquet ticket to the spring banquet.
- NEW THIS YEAR: Students will be having a photo taken early in the evening at this event for the website and for band buttons. You will have on a uniform jacket, but be sure you look spiffy for the photo!
- Pick up begins at 6:00 AM Saturday, August 9. All students must be picked up by 6:30 AM.
- This event is fully chaperoned all night long and the volunteers will be ready to head home. Please be on time!
- We request that no student drive home on Saturday morning after being up all night. Parents, please plan to pick up your child or carpool with another adult. Safety first!
Marching Band Uniform Volunteers Needed. No Experience Necessary! We will be fitting band members for their Marching Uniforms Monday - Thursday, August 4 - 7 from 11:30 - 4:00. We may also work Friday, August 8, 11:30 - 4 (or a part of that afternoon), if we still have students left to fit. Parents, this is a perfect chance to help if you can only commit to a one-off event. Come join us!
Please contact Esther Anderson at email@example.com if you are able to help for any part of the day or week.
Announcement from Kurt Vandervort:
We have two band hall projects that need to be done.
- Mr. Drake is getting a new projector and screen that need to be put up. Kurt Vandervort has agreed to lead this effort but will need the help of two or three other people to put this up. The plan is to put it up during the 10 pm to 12 am portion of Rock-a-thon, Friday, August 8. If there are two or three people who would like to help with this please contact Kurt to make arrangements. Kurt.Vandervort@stress.com
- Because of the projector we need to move some of the trophy shelving and when this opportunity is in front of us we are going to make some more. This will involve a variety of efforts: Some front end effort which will require woodworking skills and some experience. A few different work times will be needed. After the shelves and brackets are made we will need help staining some parts and will have lots of need for help putting polyurethane finish on. This will take a few coats and will require lots of space so will be done at the school somewhere. Finally we will need to put the shelves up and arrange the trophies on them. This will need a lot of hands, and tools, mostly drills, cordless screwdrivers, ladders, tape measures and a chalk line. Again, contact Kurt Vandervort to get involved. He will need to know your skills and abilities along the woodworking, finishing or installing lines.
From the Treasurer:
Thank you very much for the payments that have been made over the summer! As of August 1st, the 3rd payment is due! It is important that we complete payments for band fees by September 1st so the band can meet our financial obligations. Questions? Please contact Bronwyn Skyvara at firstname.lastname@example.org.
FAQs about band fees:
Q: OMG! I forgot to send in a payment over the summer! I am SO sorry. What do I do?
A. Please send your payment to band with your student. Put your student's name in the memo line so we can credit the correct child. Place all payments in the LOCKED BLUE box. (Ask if you need help finding it.) Please don't send cash.
Q. Thanks. How can I tell how much I have paid and how much I still owe?
A. All payments are noted in CHARMS. Band Fee details are on the band website. Still have questions? Contact Bronwyn.
Q. I sure wish we could spread this out over the whole year.
A. We hear you! Did you know that the bulk of our expenses occur during marching season? Fun Band Fee Fact: Fees haven't gone up in the last five years!
Q. Wow! I did not know that! I'm glad to know the band is working hard to keep our costs as low as possible.
A. Thanks. It takes all of us doing our part by working the flag routes or participating in the rock-a-thon, but we have a lot of fun doing it!
From the Spirit Folks: News about yard signs and car decals!
We know you are proud of your band member. The kids are working hard and contribute so much to the whole school spirit. Do you want to share your pride?
See the attached order form for yard signs. All parents who order yard signs by the 22nd will be able to pick them up at the school. After the 22nd, they can order and pick up at Action Wear Plus located at 18610 Klein Church Road, Klein, TX 77379. Yard Signs are $25 and include the step stake. Also available are magnetic car decals. The price on those is $12.
Questions? Contact Melynda Fox at email@example.com
From the Flag Coordinator:
Labor Day is our next flag holiday. We need sign ups for that holiday and all others. Many have not signed up yet. EVERY band member is expected to work three flag holidays. This fundraiser helps us to keep band fees down. I will be coming to practice on the 19th to talk to all students about flag issues. This will be reminder for upper classmen and orientation for freshmen. Please follow us on twitter @cycreekflags for important updates during the year. Thanks!
Attention Parent Volunteers: I could really use the help of a few dads to help push the heavy carts out for flag pick up and returns. The carts are on wheels, but they weigh close to 2,000 pounds when fully loaded. Can you be part of the regular crew? Or help for a few of our dates? Please contact Lisa at firstname.lastname@example.org
ALL FORMS ARE NOW DUE!! PLEASE TURN IN ANY REMAINING FORMS BY TUESDAY AT THE LATEST! Thank you. (All forms can be found on the Cy Creek Band website.)
Do you want a show shirt? All orders must be turned in by Wednesday, August 6. Please email your order (including shirt size) to Mr. Drake. Shirts cost $13. All marching band members will get a shirt as part of their fees.
Tuesday, August 12 6:00 - 8:00 PM Pool Party at the Norchester Pool
Thursday, August 21 Summer Show Off at 6:00 PM MARK YOUR CALENDARS!
We will have a marching show preview, followed by a meal and a MANDATORY Booster meeting that will include a preview of how marching season works and information about our Disney Trip scheduled for March 4-9, 2015. All interested parents MUST attend.
Saturday, August 23 Cougar Day Time TBD Drum line, Symphonic Band and Leadership are required to be in attendance.
Monday, August 25 First Day of School
Labor Day and Patriot's Day Flag Holiday Flags go out Saturday, August 30 at 9:00 AM
Friday, September 5 GAME DAY! vs Klein Oak at Pridgeon at 7:00 PM
Friday, September 12 vs CyFair at Pridgeon at 7:00 PM
Saturday, September 13 FLAGS RETURN 10-12
That's all for this week! Have a great week and Go Cougar Band!
Posted in not categorized Tagged with no tags